Tuesday, April 3, 2012

It's Your Story- Tell It!

So begins another Girl Scout Brownie Journey--
    I have begun last week with my 2nd and 3rd graders our 2nd Journey Book!  YAY!!

So we started off discussing traveling and passports and how we were going to "journal" our Journey together?  We decided we wanted to do something together and on our own, so the girls will be making a Journey Scrapbook along with their own Passport Journals.  I found at Crafts Direct these small notebooks that snap shut and had a pen included with a small notebook inside, I was looking for something fun for the girls, and as I went by these and saw their cute decorating ideas- I thought they would work perfectly.  And the girls LOVED them! :)  so it was a great choice.  Last week we did 1/2 of Session 1, and a piece of Session 2 as the girls couldn't wait to decorate their passports!  We talked about some of the games we played, played the two new ones in the facilitator guide, and the girls enjoyed doing both, wishing we could have had more of an obstacle course for the second one though.  The girls decided that they would try to read Shali's Story on their own, and if they didn't that was okay we could read it together at our next meeting.

So a brief summary of last week's meeting, was--
     1) we said our promise and law differently, we went in the circle and linked arms and said it, the girls thought it was weird but I think they enjoyed doing something different.
     2)we played the new games from different countries
     3)we talked about passports and why you need them, then brought out the craft supplies and let them decorate, this was about 30-40 min of our meeting
     4) we talked about the story and about "moving libraries" and how many of them have library cards or use the public libraries during the summer months and during the school year.
     5)delegated me to contact the Mobile Library from another city to see if it would be interested in visiting the girls--
     6) I brought a globe ( a small one that lights up) and we talked about being "connected" to different countries and finding places to see how far away we were... one of the best comments from some of the girls were WOW MN sure is a small part of the world! -- I will continue to bring the globe as a reminder of that statement :)
     7) decided that at our next meeting (tonight) we will make some homemade hummus and the girls can try it.  Unfortunately I couldn't find all the ingredients so we will be trying the store bought kind with Pita chips and bagel crisps and celery.

Went through the closing ceremony and talked about meeting an extra time so we can get through the journey before the end of the school year!


So as I plan for the meeting tonight- I have good news for the girls- the Mobile Library contacted me back and they will be in a town about 12 miles away in two weeks and said they could stay there extra long so the girls could come and visit-- so FIELD TRIP! :)  We will be playing the game/activity World of Girls outside with chalk I believe, as long as no rain, trying hummus, going through the story of Shali and discussing our next meeting :)  I hope they are as excited as I am!

Stay tuned more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment